So my podcast is based around alternative structures and I have a massive interest in some of the crazy, wacky and unique homes from across the globe. I recently read a book called “Where Architects Stay” and I thought it would be great to share with you all some of my favourite structures from the book. Take a look below at some of the best ones!
1. ÖÖD – Tallinn, Estonia
All images from: https://www.oodhouse.com/
So what is so special about this one?
- Nature Incorporation: With the help of the mirrors, this home allows you to fully immerse yourself in the nature around it. Imagining coming across a deer or moose in this house. You can see them but they can’t see you (Thank God). The experience itself would be incredible and would allow you to get an experience like no other.
- Minimalist Interior: You can check out more pictures of the interior on the site but what I have seen, it looks incredible and worth the vacation. Allowing you to get everything you need to be comfortable in such a unique accommodation.
- Building Material: The hardwood flooring and wooden frame across the entire structure is so well done and they truly respected the environment around them. It was great to see what they did in the construction of this project and the square shape makes it a lot easier to incorporate things like the sauna and other additions in the future. What are your thoughts?
2. HafenCity Hafenkran – Hamburg, Germany
All images from airbnb: https://tinyurl.com/3zfuuapx
Why should you care about this one?
- Mysterious Locations: Is it just me or do these crazy locations get to you? It is incredible to put a home in a place that would probably serve no other purpose. For this property to exist is a testament to the great people behind it who truly took into account the best place for their vision. The location is perfect for those travellers who have seen everything and are now looking to experience something completely unique.
- The Scenery/Views: Well you must have already noticed but this crane home is located right in the middle of the harbour which is a great place to catch all the lights of the city. Truly one of the most romantic homes on this list. All you couples out there should make your way over here for a wonderful night!
- The Attractions: The building also includes a museum which you can experience with your partner. You can go ahead and have a great time with attractions on the home and around the area with tons of restaurants and iconic locations around you.
3. Treehotel – Harads, Sweden
Images from: https://treehotel.se/en/rooms/the-7th-room
What makes this one so special to me?
- Window Locations: Weird one? I wouldn’t say so. The windows in this accommodations are placed so strategically to offer you light in the morning and the perfect views for you to see through the treetops. This is what truly set this location a part for the rest for me because it allows you to see some of the most luxurious views. You even get to see the northern lights because of the location, so this place is truly special.
- Bedroom Design: Every time I see the bedroom of this place, I get myself ready to sleep. It looks incredibly comfortable and looks like the perfect place to spend a few nights in the woods. The experience of staying amongst the trees just gets so much sweeter when you have a bedroom arrangement that looks like this one.
- Biophilic Style: I always look for where nature is incorporated into buildings. For this property, we can see that there is a tree sticking right into the building. This is a great way to give the feeling of being indoors but still giving the feel of being outdoors. Biophilic style is a massive trend right now and we speak about it all the time on my podcast so check out my podcast here.
4. Juvet Landscape Hotel – Valldal, Norway
Pictures from: https://juvet.com/en/landscape
What can I say about this one?
- Multipurpose Locations: One of the special sides of this property is the ability to have recreational events and attractions along with the most amazing views throughout the property. The space offers you the ability to not only enjoy the nature but take part in a variety of activities across the property including board meetings, restaurants and pools.
- Interior Attractions: Inside this property you have the chance to experience a spa and an old fashioned fireplace that keeps you cool and relaxed in the Norway winter. This is one of my favourite parts because it gives you the chance to experience an undisturbed session of relaxation within an interior that is in full harmony with the building materials inside the home.
- Unconventional Building: I feel the way we stay and work is very important for our human behaviour so I truly like seeing this structure. It would be the best place to come up with amazing project and ideas. I can see why architects would like to stay in this one and truly make your imagination run wild.
5. PORT X – Prague, Czech Republic
Pictures from: https://www.portx.cz/en/foto-video
What makes this property one of my favourites?
- Interior Spacing: One of the things I see right away with this one is the amount of space that you can have in the property. When you rent this out, you are having the ability to truly have a great time with tons of activities for a variety of things with the family. Along with the minimalist furnishing, this is the perfect place to get everything done and have a great time doing it.
- Waterfront location: The waterfront location of this property provides you with the ability to do sail boating, speed boating and more water activities right at your doorstep. Just image waking up and then jumping right into the water that is right outside your window. This is one of the best parts of living at the PORT X accommodations.
- Creative Room Divisions: For me, this is a great part of the property too. The room is divided in a way that gives you the chance to sleep, play and meet in different sections of the home. The rooms are divided to provide privacy and give everyone the ability to get more done in separate locations.
So how you did you like the list? Would you stay in any of these properties? Well, give any of them a quick google search and your wish will come true. Most of the places that are listed here are also airbnb’s that allow you to explore the properties for yourself in the future.
When you do visit, let me know about your thoughts on these places! I hope you all enjoyed my list and if you would like another one, I will create it.
More to read for you: